VT_100 emulation on SUN 2

Scott Wilson swilson%thetone at Sun.COM
Tue Sep 20 03:31:15 AEST 1988

>I thing shelltool or cmdtool, if you made them 24 x 80 exactly,
>would emulate VT100 closely enough to work with VMS. There's also
>something called vt100tool which I know nothing about.

Before I came to Sun I worked at a place that had several Vaxes
running VMS and we used Sun's Sunlink DNI (or somesuch) to connect
to the Dec machines.  DNI came with a vt100 emulator called vt100tool.
I don't know if it is available separately or how it's packaged, call
Sun sales.  As I remember vt100tool worked well both for connecting
to the Vax and for running ancient assembly lanuage programs on a remote
machine with vt100 escape sequences hardwired in.  I don't remember
what kind of keypad support it had (if you wanted to run edt on VMS)
but I think it was there.  If you have Wollongong on VMS then you
may just want to get the vt100tool and telnet or rlogin as opposed to
using set host with DNI.

Scott Wilson		arpa: swilson at sun.com
Sun Microsystems	uucp: ...!sun!swilson
Mt. View, CA

"And the fool loves war, and the gentle die."	-The Call