Future at Berzerkeley

John Woods john at frog.UUCP
Tue Apr 4 08:40:00 AEST 1989

> | BSD code is more accessable; if AT&T wants major innovations
> | under SysV, they are going to have to be more easy-going
> | with the sources and software hooks.
>   Really? I thought you had to buy a SysV source license before you
> could get BSD source. Has that changed? Of course there are more
> *unlicensed* copies of BSD around, that I agree.

One System V (or System III, for that matter) source license gets you BSD
source releases in perpetuity.  Upgrading from System V Release 2.1.1.4.9.69
to System V Release 2.1.1.4.9.69.2 and each successive release thereafter
is like being nibbled to death by VERY LARGE ducks.

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (508) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john at frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw at eddie.mit.edu

			Remainder Khomeini!