Large Un*x Applications ?

Mary Coletta coletta at hpcmsrb.HP.COM
Sat Apr 15 03:50:42 AEST 1989

Hi there!

I was curious to the usage of Un*x in the realm of Business Applications.
There appears to be consensus that Un*x does not support Business
Applications primarily because it can not handle a large number of
simultaneous users.  A large number of users would be greater than 100
people at a time.  Response time that is expected, would be less than
5 seconds for normal transactions (database update, addition, etc).

If you have had experience with large on-line
UN*X applications that support many users at the same time,
I'm looking to you for knowledge!  Please send me your answers
to the following questions.  I would really appreciate your
sharing your practical experience with me:

1)  Briefly describe the application

2)  On which machine does it run?

3)  What is the average number of users at one time?

4)  What is the average response time?

5)  What is the most number of users at one time?

6)  What is that respective response time?

7)  What is your opinion of Un*x's performance with large on-line
    applications that have many users?

8)  Where do you work, and what's your position?

    Thank you, Mary Coletta  coletta at hpcmsa