man (was VMS: logicals UNIX: links)

Ian Moor iwm at doc.ic.ac.uk
Thu Apr 20 22:19:47 AEST 1989

I have a question about man, I know how to solve it on VMS using logical names,
so now seems like a good time to ask it !.

When stuff arrives on comp.sources.{unix misc games} I save some of it and
try to use some of that. Usually there is a man page, which I put in ~/man .
The question is how can I make man look there ?
'man man' reveals nothing, I have no access to the source (in fact
strings `which man` shows I can't read the binary either), needless to say I
can't touch /usr/man. This is a BSD system.

In VMS I can do
   define sys$help sys$library:[help],sys$login:[help]
I would like to be able to do
   setenv MANPATH /usr/man:/usr/local/man:~/man

Similarly, I would like to move /tmp around when the C compiler fills it up,
in the same way I can redefine SYS$SCRATCH on need.

--
Ian W Moor
  UUCP: uunet!mcvax!ukc!icdoc!iwm
  ARPA: iwm at doc.ic.ac.uk
  JANET: iwm at uk.ac.ic.doc

 Department of Computing   We don't need no documentation,
 Imperial College.         We don't need no source control,
 180 Queensgate            No dark sarcasm in the boardroom,
 London SW7 UK.            Manager! leave those programmers alone!