uucp delivery order?

Jim Rosenberg jr at oglvee.UUCP
Wed Apr 5 03:38:24 AEST 1989

It's my understanding that uucp doesn't guarantee delivery order.  I've
certainly seen Usenet articles arrive in the wrong order -- e.g. a reply has
an earlier article number than the original message.  From perusing log files
it appears that at least on some systems it can happen that files are sent in
reverse order -- or am I seeing things?

Is there a way I can send files via uucp where I can guarantee they will be
delivered in the order queued?  I *think* I'm guaranteed of having HDB at both
ends of the link, & I'm only concerned about a single hop.  It should be a
sort of V.3.1 at one end (Altos "UNIX V.3", catch du jour, globs of oil
sticking in the nets not to be ruled out!) with AT&T 386 V.3.2 at the other
end.  I am writing a system which will run on top of uucp to send exported
database records.  My system has its own concept of jobs, and the exported
records are packaged into bundles and dealt with in the proper order within a
job.  My trouble will come if the modem goes down long enough that more than
one job queues in the uucp spool directory.  I suppose I could put a wrapper
around uucico, but I wonder if there's a simpler way.
--
Jim Rosenberg                        pitt
Oglevee Computer Systems                 >--!amanue!oglvee!jr