Re^4: csh: still trying to read file - and to setenv PATH

Maarten Litmaath maart at cs.vu.nl
Wed Apr 5 05:40:05 AEST 1989

jms at hcx.uucp (Michael Stanley) writes:
\...
\> \	setenv PATH "/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local:~yourid/bin"
\>
\> By this scheme any subcommand that invokes execvp() one way or the other,
\> will `fail': the environment variable is LITERALLY set to the above, that is,
\> including the tilde, and the directory "~yourid" isn't the directory you
\> intended to include (and it probably doesn't exist).
\> Use `set path=(...)' or `setenv PATH ...$HOME/bin'. RTFM.
\> Furthermore "~yourid/bin" ("~/bin", for insiders :-) should be the FIRST
\> directory in your PATH.
\> --
\
\Actually, you are wrong.  You are right in that, the ~ isn't expanded
\when added to the environment, but it still seems to find my bin
\directory and execute the commands in it.  If your csh won't do this,
\I'm sorry, but every csh I've ever used will.

Please re-read what I wrote, Michael. I wasn't talking of the csh itself, but
of commands you invoke from csh, that do execvp() calls: THEY know NOTHING of
tilde expansion - in general.

\Finally, if I thought that my every posting would recieve such criticism,
\I probably wouldn't post.  Back off a bit, ok?  I just supplied a solution
\WHICH WORKS when none others were available.

Right. But *I* pointed out a few things you didn't mention. Please continue
posting.
In the next article you wrote:
>... [I] flamed back unnecessarily ...

Thanks for this rectification.