MNP Auto-Reliable + getty: happy accident or design?

Jim Rosenberg jr at oglvee.UUCP
Fri Apr 14 05:31:07 AEST 1989

In article <11482 at s.ms.uky.edu> david at ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>When a pair of modems are negotiating MNP modes they're doing this
>*AFTER* they've printed 'CONNECT' to their serial ports
 ^^^^^^^
You sure about this??  When I dial out auto-reliable to an MNP modem configured
for auto-reliable there is a noticeable delay after the speaker shuts off and
then I see the message:

CONNECT RELIABLE

I.e. it sure looks like the handshake happens *before* the CONNECT message is
printed.

>and they
>do this by sending BREAKS at each other in particular ways.
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'd like to know the details.  If MNP is working without start & stop bits it
would make sense for the dialing modem to send out its Link Request that way
and see if it gets a valid response.  It would make sense that this has to
happen before it can print out the CONNECT RELIABLE message.  If the
answering modem is *not* in MNP auto-reliable mode it would indeed print
CONNECT immediately -- but of course if you've got a getty connected to it you
should have the modem in quiet mode, so it wouldn't print anything.  (Unless
you want all remote users to log in under the uid CONNECT!  :-))

Help, We're just blundering around in the dark here:  Is there an MNP wizard in
the house?  Who can really tell us in detail how the MNP handshake works??
Chuck Forsberg, you there??
--
Jim Rosenberg                        pitt
Oglevee Computer Systems                 >--!amanue!oglvee!jr