MNP Auto-Reliable + getty: happy accident or design?

ram ram at tslanpar.UUCP
Fri Apr 14 00:40:43 AEST 1989

In article <11482 at s.ms.uky.edu>, david at ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
> When a pair of modems are negotiating MNP modes they're doing this
> *AFTER* they've printed 'CONNECT' to their serial ports and they
> do this by sending BREAKS at each other in particular ways.
>
> I'd call it a lucky accident that it does something useful to the
> getty.  Normally you'd expect the getty to get confused because of
> the noise it'd see.

In my experience, the modems negotiate their MNP mode BEFORE they actually
send the CONNECT message to the host.  Using Uutry under Svr3.1 on an ATT3b2
computer, the modem (A Microcom 9624) establishes its connection speed
(indicated by the color and flashing of the HS light), then sends CONNECT to
the host.

If it really was sending breaks after the connection, the getty would lose
its mind and change baud rates several times.

Regards,
	Richard Meesters.		"I disclaim, Really I do!"