SunOS 4.0 graded uucp service

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Sat Apr 29 18:24:39 AEST 1989

In article <1127 at mcrware.UUCP> kim at mcrware.UUCP (Kim Kempf) writes:
>We are running SunOS 4.0 and the documentation indicates that 'uucp' and
>'uux' support a '-g' option to control the grade of service.  I want to
>use this feature separate news from email/uucp delivery.

I believe these options to uux and uucp (to uux, anyway) go all the way back
to Version 7 UNIX. But only HDB and 4.3BSD uucico do anything with them. That
rules out your Sun; i.e., you cannot do what you want to do.

4.3BSD UUCP supports quite sophisticated handling of grades, as does recent
versions of HoneyDanBer. 4.3BSD-tahoe provides even more support, allowing
all uux jobs to be sorted by size. We've done wonders for our phone bills
that wait, deferring large mail until night rates are in effect.

<csg>