Future at Berzerkeley

Malaclypse the Elder dwc at homxc.ATT.COM
Wed Apr 5 12:51:25 AEST 1989

In article <52184 at uunet.UU.NET>, rick at uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) writes:
> > S5R4's VM will be derived from the SunOS 4.x VM (complete with "mmap").
>
> Does this mean S5R4 won't run reasonably on machines with less than 8 megabytes
> of memory...

i believe that the observed 8M requirement for suns is due to
the size of its window management system.  if you are running
a strict "standard" tty type system, you should be okay with
4M (unless of course you run large applications).

i guess what i'm saying is that the kernel hasn't gotten that
much larger and as long as you stay away from paging/swapping,
you should be okay.  this is of course, only my opinion.

danny chen
att!homxc!dwc