Future at Berzerkeley

Terry Hull terry at tah386.UUCP
Thu Apr 6 14:12:36 AEST 1989

In article <52184 at uunet.UU.NET> rick at uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) writes:
>> S5R4's VM will be derived from the SunOS 4.x VM (complete with "mmap").
>
>Does this mean S5R4 won't run reasonably on machines with less than
>8 megabytes of memory...

I just came from a meeting of the University UNIX User's Group and one
of the thigs AT&T presented there was an overview of SysV R4.0
and 4.1.  They said that the kernel size had not increased
significantly on the 3B2 from R3.2 and it would run with no major
performance problems in a 4 MB machine.  The nice thing about R4.0 is
many of the new features are optional.  If you don't want them, don't
link them into the kernel.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University