console error

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.COM
Sat Apr 29 07:34:42 AEST 1989

>	mcr0: soft ecc addr 12ff syn 1f

>The message has been writing to the console once every few minutes, for
>the last few days. So I don't believe that is a catastrophic error.

This is a memory system error. "Soft" means corrected.  "mcr0" is
"memory controller 0" (there is only one controller on a 750).  The
"addr" field is a page address:  add 9 low-order 0 bits to get the byte
address of the beginning of the page; divide that by 1024*1024 (1
Mbyte) to determine which board is the culprit (for new-style 750s with
1 Mbyte boards).

In this case, 0x12ff << 9 is 0x25fe00; 1024*1024 is 0x100000; this
problem is in the third Mbyte (third board).  The "syn" entry can be
used to decode which chip has failed, but that decoding depends on who
made the memory board.  Consult the manufacturer's documentation.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2560 Ninth St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
ed at mtxinu.COM		    +1 415 644 0146

"I'll fight them as a woman, not a lady.  I'll fight them as an engineer."