Why /dev/dsk/* and no /dev/tty/*?

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Sun Apr 9 10:17:38 AEST 1989

In article <10010 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> In article <3757 at ficc.uu.net> peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >... what's wrong with having SOME sort of /dev/t/whatever arrangement?

> Nothing at all, so long as you fix up the handful of utilities that
> "know" about /dev/tty* names.

They can do it while fixing all the utilities that don't use perror() or
optargs() or assume that "" == "." or assume that "//xds13" == "/xds13",
and so on and so on...

Yeh, I know 'ps' doesn't like terminals called "/dev/cul32". But really
it's long past time this sort of no-brainer fix was finally done.

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter at sugar.hackercorp.com.