Defining function keys

Gordon Vickers gordon at prls.UUCP
Wed Apr 19 01:44:33 AEST 1989

> In article <1869 at umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, rostamia at umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Rouben Rostamian) writes:
> 		Is there a way to define function keys to execute
>  certain commands in UNIX?  For example, can one press f17 (I have
>  a vt220) to execute "/bin/ps -w -u smith"?

     YES!
     I've recently submitted a program that let's you quickly and very easily
  redefine function keys on any vt[23]xx .  The program, keydef, allows you
  to maintain one or more files containing definitions for the function keys.
  I find having definition files based upon which application I want to run
  is very convenient.
     The files are created with your favorite editor in a very simply format.
  The program allows for mapping \r, \n, \t to 'return', 'newline', and 'tab'.
  It also allows mapping two charector sequences that begin with a carrot (^)
  into the appropriate control charector.
     As an additional aid, the program will allow redefining a single key
  straight from the command line. This is very helpful when the application
  allows shell escapes as in vi(1).  It's real nice to escape from vi and
  program a key for something you'll need only for a particular session.
     I've recently summitted keydef to comp.sources.unix .  If you don't
  see it posted within the next couple of weeks, drop me a line and I'll
  email it to those interested.
     Those interested may also wish to keep an eye on comp.sources.misc
  for the keydef posting since that may be a more appropriate place for it.

Gordon Vickers 408/991-5370 (Sunnyvale,Ca); {mips|pyramid|philabs}!prls!gordon