man (was VMS: logicals UNIX: links)

Anthony A. Datri aad at stpstn.UUCP
Fri Apr 28 02:01:27 AEST 1989

In article <IWM.89Apr20121947 at ivax.doc.ic.ac.uk> iwm at doc.ic.ac.uk (Ian Moor) writes:

>In VMS I can do
>   define sys$help sys$library:[help],sys$login:[help]
>I would like to be able to do
>   setenv MANPATH /usr/man:/usr/local/man:~/man

alias man man -M /usr/man:/usr/local/man:~/man

Certain man programs have directories hard coded in and no provision for
change.  I think hpux is like that.

>Similarly, I would like to move /tmp around when the C compiler fills it up,
>in the same way I can redefine SYS$SCRATCH on need.

Does it really write in sys$scratch?  I thought it wrote in the
current directory.  In any event, it's probably a good idea for the sysadmin
to see to it that /tmp resolves to something fairly large.

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, my VT05, or my 11/34)