man (was VMS: logicals UNIX: links)

The Grey Wolf greywolf at unisoft.UUCP
Wed Apr 26 09:35:28 AEST 1989

In article <IWM.89Apr20121947 at ivax.doc.ic.ac.uk> iwm at doc.ic.ac.uk (Ian Moor) writes:
# I have a question about man, I know how to solve it on VMS using logical names,
# so now seems like a good time to ask it !.
#
# When stuff arrives on comp.sources.{unix misc games} I save some of it and
# try to use some of that. Usually there is a man page, which I put in ~/man .
# The question is how can I make man look there ?
# 'man man' reveals nothing, I have no access to the source (in fact
# strings `which man` shows I can't read the binary either), needless to say I
# can't touch /usr/man. This is a BSD system.
#
# In VMS I can do
#    define sys$help sys$library:[help],sys$login:[help]
# I would like to be able to do
#    setenv MANPATH /usr/man:/usr/local/man:~/man

If it is 4.3 BSD, you can do just that.  If it is 4.2 BSD, you will have to
find some other way to work around the problem.  As much of a kludge as it
may be, you might have to write a shell script.

#
# Similarly, I would like to move /tmp around when the C compiler fills it up,
# in the same way I can redefine SYS$SCRATCH on need.
#

Here, you will have to write your own front end to handle cpp, ccom, as
and ld to write to a temporary directory of your choosing.

# --
# Ian W Moor
#   UUCP: uunet!mcvax!ukc!icdoc!iwm
#   ARPA: iwm at doc.ic.ac.uk
#   JANET: iwm at uk.ac.ic.doc
#
#  Department of Computing   We don't need no documentation,
#  Imperial College.         We don't need no source control,
#  180 Queensgate            No dark sarcasm in the boardroom,
#  London SW7 UK.            Manager! leave those programmers alone!
--
...TheysaidDoyouseethebiggreenglowinthedarkhouseuponthehill?andIsaidYesIseethebiggreenglowinthedarkhouseuponthehillTheresabigdarkforestbetweenmeandthebiggreenglowinthedarkhouseuponthehillandalittleoldladyonaHoovervacuumcleanersayingIllgetyoumyprettyandyourlittledogTototoo
I don't even *HAVE* a dog Toto...