Need help reading a file with unusual name(s)

ram ram at tslanpar.UUCP
Tue Apr 18 04:21:25 AEST 1989

In article <579 at netcom.UUCP>, onymouse at netcom.UUCP (John DeBert) writes:
> I cannot access files with filenames containing "non-graphic" characters.
> (How they got that way, I don't know.) I have two files that I need to
> access called "maps\033w" (ls shows the name as "maps") but if I enter the
> name as shown, I still cannot access it. I also have a file of substantial
> size which has the CR character as it's filename.

Try this:

	to edit "maps\033w" type "vi maps\\033w".  This interprets the
backslash as a literal charachter rather that the introducer to a special
charachter.  Similarly, for a file with a CR try "vi filename\<cr>"

Regards,
	Richard Meesters