VMS vs. UNIX s/w development tools - query

Phil Suematsu phil at dhw68k.cts.com
Wed Apr 5 14:24:43 AEST 1989

In article <401 at bionov.UUCP> rayl at bionov.UUCP (Ray Lillard) writes:
>          ...  What I have been shown of VMS doesn't begin
>to cover the UNIX tools set.  It seems that the concept of
>a regular expression is almost completely missing from VMS.
>
>The question:
>	Are tools available under VMS which are as powerful
>	as YACC, LEX, AWK, SCCS, grep, make, etc... to name
>	a few.

I use the GNU Yacc, GNU Lex, DECUS grep, and a public-domain
make for software development under VAX/VMS.  The GNU software
has distribution restrictions.  If you distribute a binary
that includes any of GNU's code, you have to distribute the
source to generate the binary.

DEC distributes a source control system called CMS and a 'make'
type program called MMS.  VMS has routines for terminal independent
I/O (what you might use curses for under Unix).

I also have the Zmodem file transfer programs sz and rz and the
LZW compress programs from Unix working under VMS.  I can't easily
distribute things on tape, but I can easily distribute source code
by MS-DOS diskettes if you are interested in the utilities I have
that may be freely distributed (Yacc, Lex, Grep, Make).  In summary,
yes, you can have your Make and EDT it too.

  Phil Suematsu  | InterNet: phil at dhw68k.cts.com
Optical Research | or  uucp: ...{trwrb,hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!phil
   Associates    | or  Work: (818) 795-9101  or  Home: (714) 633-0876
--
  Phil Suematsu  | InterNet: phil at dhw68k.cts.com or phil at turnkey.tcc.com