Getting a UUCP feed

Keith Dickinson nanook at novavax.UUCP
Mon Apr 17 07:59:24 AEST 1989

in article <8904150356.AA01500 at cunixd.cc.columbia.edu>, gmw1 at CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gabe M Wiener) says:

> Hello people.  I'm in the process of getting A/UX for my Mac II.  I'm
> interested in putting my machine onto uucp so that I can at last break
> free of University mail regulations and have my own feed to/from usenet.

Congratulations! Welcome to the net!

> How does one go about getting a uucp feed?  Are certain organizations
> required to provide these feeds?  Or do you have to convince someone to
> let you connect?  Also, is there any sort of central registration of
> uucp node names?  (i.e., so that you can get yourself into peoples' host
> tables, etc.)

Basicly just convince someone to give you the feed is the usual way. Unless
you want to connect to UUNET.UU.NET!

> Basically what I'm saying is that I'm at a loss as to how to begin.  Any and
> all introductory info on establishing a feed would be appreciated.  Sorry to
> be raising what I'm sure is a hackneyed question.
>
> By the way, if anyone can even begin to point me in the right direction of
> how one can obtain a private internet connection, I'd also appreciate it.

No problem. The best place is to contact the postmaster at the system you
entered this message from. He would be the logical place for you to link
too. In a round about way that's how I got my news feeds.

> Immesurable thanks in advance.
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-\******/=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Gabe Wiener -- Columbia University   \****/ "It doesn't matter how sincere it
> 				      \**/   is, nor how heart-felt the spirit.
> INTERNET: gmw1 at cunixd.cc.columbia.edu  \/    Sentiment will not endear it.
> BITNET:   gmw1 at cunixc                  /\    What's important is the price."
> COMPUSERVE: 72355,1226                /**\   		- Tom Lehrer
> WUI: 650-117-9118                    /****\                  on gift giving
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-/******\=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I like the sig. Seen it before.

If your school won't set you up with a news feed, grep your maps and see if
there are any other systems that can be localy dialled from where you are.
Once you find them simply mail to postmaster at prospective.site and request
connectivity. I don't think that you will be having much of a problem with
connecting into Columbia. If so just look for another BIG school. Generaly
they are the ones with the resources to handle the extra load with little
or no problems.

Leme know what happens guy!
Keith Dickinson
---
          __     Fidonet : 369/2 [(305) 421-8593] Brave New World South
         /  \    Internet: nanook at muadib.FIDONET.ORG
        / oo|\     or    : nanook at f3.n369.z1.FIDONET.ORG
       (_\  |_)  UUCP    : novavax!muadib!nanook
  _    /__\@'__  USnail  : 433 SE 13th CT. J-202, Deerfild Beach, Fl. 33441
((   /  | (*) |  "Speak UUCP Fido, Speak!"
  \   /_ || \\_    / FIDO \  muadib is a FREE gateway for mail between
   \____)|_) \_)  (________) Usenet and FidoNet. For info write to Root.