Disk Problems: Is this normal?

John E Van Deusen III jiii at visdc.UUCP
Thu Apr 20 09:43:14 AEST 1989

In article <264 at nueces.UUCP> chari at nueces.UUCP (Chris Whatley) writes:
> I have had a Next system for about 2 1/2 months now ...
> About 3-5 times a week, I ... have to reboot my system  ... [and]
> about two boots in five have disk problems that fsck fixes.
>
> Maybe 1 of the 3-5 reboots is after a graceful shutdown.

If you had a UNIX machine and were having this problem, I would suggest
that after using /etc/shutdown, and while in single-user mode prior to
any harware reset, you run a ps -e command and see if any tasks are
still active that you thought would be zapped by the /etc/killall
command.  Sleep(1) commands invoked by init are sometimes especially
reluctant to give up the ghost.

Of course, if the shutdown is UNgraceful, you would kind of expect some
sort of fsck activity.
--
John E Van Deusen III, PO Box 9283, Boise, ID  83707, (208) 343-1865

uunet!visdc!jiii