Decrypting Files Encrypted on Another Machine

Dave Remien dave at pmafire.UUCP
Sun Apr 9 02:39:17 AEST 1989

In article <4119 at stiatl.UUCP= todd at stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) writes:
=In article <198 at rancho.uucp= rock at rancho.uucp (Rock Kent) writes:
==I have been unsuccessful in taking files which have been encrypted on
==an NCR Tower using crypt(1) and decrypting them on a microport Sys
==V/386 system.
=
=
=More than likely, integers are being stored in the encrypted file if
=the encrypting program is not treating the input and output files as
=byte streams.  Due to differences in architectures between the Tower
=(68000, I think) and the 386, integers are stored with a different
=byte ordering.  You need a crypt/decrypt that is specifically
=non-architecture dependent.

It's a cheap shot, but you could try dd'ing the file to swap bytes (dd
conv=swab), then try crypt on it again.