Decrypting Files Encrypted on Another Machine

Todd Merriman todd at stiatl.UUCP
Fri Apr 7 22:46:49 AEST 1989

In article <198 at rancho.uucp> rock at rancho.uucp (Rock Kent) writes:
>I have been unsuccessful in taking files which have been encrypted on
>an NCR Tower using crypt(1) and decrypting them on a microport Sys
>V/386 system.

More than likely, integers are being stored in the encrypted file if
the encrypting program is not treating the input and output files as
byte streams.  Due to differences in architectures between the Tower
(68000, I think) and the 386, integers are stored with a different
byte ordering.  You need a crypt/decrypt that is specifically
non-architecture dependent.

   ...!gatech!stiatl!todd
   Todd Merriman * 404-377-TOFU * Atlanta, GA
   Note:  I have no idea what my employer's views on the subject are.