backups

Packman packman%TAMUNIX.BITNET at cornellc.cit.cornell.edu
Fri Apr 28 23:33:30 AEST 1989

Hello... I work on Amdahl's system V unix system called uts, and I was
wondering what was the easiest way to resotore a file system.  If I
use restore I have to run a restore for every directory in the file
system, of which there are many. I have been looking at frest, but it
is unclear to me how frest knows to restore just the sinlge file
system when there is multiple file systems on the same backup tape.  If
frest restores the whole tape to my file system then it will run out
of room, and if it goes by the block number, then what tells frest to
stop and not go to the next block.

Could someone please tell me how this is done in the real world.

        See you
        Wally Strzelec
        <packman at tamunix.tamu.edu>

No experiment is reproducible.