hostname aliasing in HDB uucp -HOW ?

Robert Halloran rkh at mtune.ATT.COM
Thu Apr 13 23:59:49 AEST 1989

In article <458 at rd-atlas.UUCP> tahsin at rd-atlas.UUCP (Tahsin Choudhuri) writes:
>We have a Sun-3 (3.5) whose hostname is atlas, and it is known as rd-atlas to
>others on the usenet. I would like to keep using rd-atlas as its uucp
>name when I make a uucplink with other machines and atlas as its hostname.
>
>I am having trouble to establish a link between this Sun and another machine
>which is running HDB uucp. In that remote machine, in the Systems file under
>HDB if I use rd-atlas, then I (i.e. Sun) gets disconneted with error message:
>'You are unknown to me'. But, if I put atlas in the Systems file then
>everything works OK; but the users in the remote machine then have to use
>atlas!user to send mail to the Sun, which I don't like. I want the remote
>machine to know the Sun as rd-atlas (from uuname(1) on the remote machine)
>and use rd-atlas!user to send mail to the Sun.
>
>This problem was resolved using L.aliases file before, what's the equivalent
>of this in HDB uucp or how do you resolve this under HDB uucp ? I would very
>much appreciate to hear from anybody who has already solved this problem.
>Thanks in advance. Please, email directly if possible, I will post a
>summary if others are interested.

You do this in the Permissions file; there are two ways.

1) You make an entry using MACHINE= rather than LOGNAME=.  You follow this
   with a clause MYNAME=foo, then the usual READ, WRITE and COMMANDS options.
   Looks something like this:

	MACHINE=HDB-system MYNAME=atlas \
	WRITE=/usr/spool READ=/usr/spool \
	COMMANDS=rmail:uucp:rnews

2) If they're coming in through a login/password sequence, you can assign
   them a unique login name and have that be the trigger in the Permissions
   file.  Same idea, different implementation:

	LOGNAME=no-rd-alias MYNAME=atlas \
	WRITE=/usr/spool READ=/usr/spool \
	COMMANDS=rmail:uucp:rnews

   Hope this helps.
						Bob Halloran
						Distributed Programming
						  Tools Group
UUCP: {att, rutgers}!mtune!rkh			DDD: (201)957-6034
Internet:   rkh at mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: AT&T Bell Labs, 200 Laurel Ave Rm 3G-314 Middletown NJ 07748
Quote: If Basic is for backward children, and Pascal for naughty
  schoolboys, then C is the language for consenting adults - Brian Kernighan