UNIX file system hardening reference?

John J. Wallace jjw at palladium.UUCP
Tue Apr 25 09:21:45 AEST 1989

In article <284 at foobar.hf.intel.com> fenk at foobar.hf.intel.com (John Fenk) writes:
>I am looking for a pointer to information on the changes that were made
>to UNIX to increase the reliability of the file system.

In 1982, I worked at Bell Labs and implemented a hardened Unix file
system for a fault tolerant Unix derivative that was used in telephony.

This work was much more aggressive than what was eventually out into
System V;  However, the system V hardening was based on that work as
well as other work within BTL.

My work was published as a ``Short Communication'' in SOFTWARE - PRACTICE
AND EXPERIENCE, Vol 13, pgs. 385-387.  If you'd like, email to me, and I
can send you a copy.

--
John J. Wallace
Epoch Systems, Inc., 313 Boston Post Rd. West, Marlborough, MA 01752