Portable OS's (was: Re: Do OS's slow down with age?)

Don Stokes, Govt Print, Wellington gpwrdcs at gp.govt.nz
Wed Feb 8 02:30:07 AEST 1989

In article <978 at riddle.UUCP>, domo at riddle.UUCP (Dominic Dunlop) writes:
> This approach actually works well enough to be used in the real world: UCSD
> Pascal is implemented this way, so is Pick.  (There's even a British
> product called BOS which, in effect, implements a COBOL engine, and has an
> operating system written in... you guessed... COBOL.)  The disadvantage of
> the approach is that, as the operating system and all applications are, in
> effect, interpreted by the emulator, performance is unlikely to be as good
> as could be obtained from programs compiled all the way down to the native
> machine code of the target processor.

Yeah, fine, if you want a fraction of the performance ... (fond memories
of UCSD Pascal on Apple ][s ... <yawn>... gimme 6502 assembler anytime...).

You mention Pick ... on many implementations, Pick is actually run as
native code.  The first phase of compilation produces something akin to
Pcode, that code is either used directly by an interpreter, or is further
"compiled" to produce native files.  I don't know a lot about pick, so
I'm not sure of the details.  And Pick is almost as much of a mess as
Unix, with every man & his dog producing different and subtly
incompatible versions ...

Don Stokes
Systems Programmmer, Government Printing Office, Wellington, New Zealand