Portable OS's (was: Re: Do OS's slow down with age?)

Brent Sterner brent at uwovax.uwo.ca
Fri Feb 3 22:03:41 AEST 1989

In article <978 at riddle.UUCP>, domo at riddle.UUCP (Dominic Dunlop) writes:

> It's a good idea to remember that there is a solution to this problem: make
> every machine look the same by implementing an emulator for some
> hypothetical standard machine architecture on top of each one.
	I've often thought it would be nice if there was an ansi standard
	for user interfaces.  (I guess there is/may be one with windows.)
	But this does bring up another point.

	This "war" has also be fought on a local newsgroup.  The complaint
	specifically dealt with HELP.  VMS HELP has nothing available for
	non-VMS commands (GREP, EDIF, ... {pick any other os and fill in
	the dots yourself} ).  So it crossed my mind that non-VMS commands
	which *are* commands for some other os, ought to have help as well,
	and that help should point to the correct VMS command.

	This is simple in concept, but a @#$%^&*( of a lot of brute force
	work.  Distaining work (as I do), I'm wondering if anyone out there
	has done this yet, for any os.  Care to share it?  I think it could
	make a very nice addition for any VMS system, and especially so for
	any mixed vendor shop (as we are here).  Comments?  b.