X Terminals for Sun hosts over dial up phone lines

Jose Alberto Fernandez R alberto at tove.umd.edu
Thu Feb 23 11:05:29 AEST 1989

Finally I found someone interested in using X windows from HOME. From your
comments looks like the hardware solutions are not practical.
I'm thinking in a software solution similar in the way that `x10tox11'
works.

	The idea is to have a server program running on the host, this
	program only takes all the events and transmit the information in a
	more suitable format throught the phone line. On the other side, a
	similar program read from the phone lines and creates the events
	for the Xserver (who is running on the Micro-computer). Actually
	the interpreter on the line could be the Micro-computer's Xserver
	itself.

This approach does not need any modification in the kernel nor any other
place. And using a diferent codification in the line could help with the
speed problem.

Well I hope some body can make some comments about if it is possible to
create something like this. And that some body in the Network will try to
implement something like this (I don't have any idea of how to program in
X11).

Please let me know your comments about it.

	-- Jose Alberto.

 /       \ Jose Alberto Fernandez R | INTERNET: alberto at tove.umd.edu
 | o   o | Dept. of Computer Sc.    |
 |   ^   | Univesity of Marylad     |