X Terminals for Sun hosts over dial up phone lines

Dana A. Chee dana at dino.bellcore.com
Wed Feb 22 00:43:08 AEST 1989

In article <2566 at antique.UUCP> hpk at antique.UUCP (Howard Katseff) writes:

   I would like to use one of these X terminal from home to access my Sun
   workstation at work over a dialup line.

   I have seen references to SLIP and 9600 baud modems but I am quite
   ignorant about such things.  I would appreciate hearing an explanation
   of how this works, recommendations about X terminals or modems,
   or best of all, I would like to hear from somebody who has successfully
   tried to do this!
   --

   Howard Katseff
   Room 4G-622, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Holmdel, NJ  07733
   Internet: hpk at vax135.att.com
   201 949-5337

I have a 9600 baud SLIP line from home, so I can give you a brief
summary of what to expect ... NOTHING!!.  9600 is WAY too slow to run
X over.  I have tried to run clients on the office machines, while
using my home machine as the display.  Its painful!  The windows paint
in little bursts, which makes you think you have a 300 baud modem.

As for how it works.  SLIP acts like another device (if you have Suns,
you're used to le0, ie0, ec0, etc., well SLIP is sl0).  You set up
your network to use sl0 for the network, and on the office side, you
tell the machine what tty port your home machine(terminal) will come
in over, and at what speed.  There is a program (slattach) which when
run from /etc/rc.local, will set things up (you also have to make
changes (i.e., add drivers) to your vmunix).

For a summary, it would be very slow going, X was designed for a high
speed network.

--
*  Dana Chee				(201) 829-4488			  *