history/savehist variables in csh

Michael Morrell morrell at hpsal2.HP.COM
Sat Feb 25 12:22:36 AEST 1989

/ hpsal2:comp.unix.questions / ec at shapetc.UUCP (Enrico Chiarucci) /  5:07 am  Feb 21, 1989 /

In my .login file I have the following lines (in a more or less vanilla
Sun-2 flavour of unix):

	set history=128
	set savehist=16
	source -h ~/.history

wishing to keep 128 commands in the history file, but to save only 16 of
them across login sessions.

Upon logging in, however, I consistently get 32 commands preserved from
the previous session.

enrico

Are the second 16 of the 32 commands duplicates of the first 16?  I believe
the savehist feature automatically inserts the last 16 commands into your
history stack and your invocation of "source -h" adds them in again.

 Michael