Making uucp, uucico really, work

Alan Bunch alan at coplex.UUCP
Mon Feb 13 12:33:41 AEST 1989

Hi there,

I know that uucp and it attendant problem have been hashed into oblivion over
the net so plaese, PLEASE respond via email or a phone call.

FACTS:

1      Sperry 5000/40          ( a repackaged NCR tower, which one is unknown )
       UNIX SV.2  standard uucp package, not HDB
1      Hayes compatible modem with DTR and CD set to follow the norms
       (change state to reflect the real world)
1      modem cable of questionable design, DTR and CD wired
    o  Getty is not present on the line, line to be used for dial out only.
    o  Port to be used is /dev/tty14 this is on the second HPSIO (high speed
       serial I/O) board.
    o  Line can be used for cu with no problems.
    o  Uucico barfs, pucks, retches and dies.  LOGFILE says "TIMEOUT(direct
    o  write /dev/tty14 failed) or something very close to this.
    o  stty -a < /dev/tty14
       hangs untill an interupt is hit and then
       "could not open /dev/tty14"
       -rwxrwxrwx uucp uucp                 xx yy  /dev/tty14
    o this changes when a program is run that :
      opens the port NO DELAY
      ioctl's to the right baud rate (1200)
      sleeps for a time
      close file
   o  when this program is run in the background and stty < /dev/tty14 is done
      there is no problem.

I have RTFM'ed, prayed, offered scarafices, hollered, screamed, talked nice,
threatened, pleaded, offered pacts with satin, begged, kicked (my desk) slept
on it, called co-workers, ex-co-workers,  my mother, my guru, my shrink, used
magic of others and my own, but,  uucico just will not budge. Still mumbles
about not being able to write to /dev/tty14. Same thing all the time.

If some kind soul has the same make and model of this beast and has uucp
working I would sure like to hear from you.  You can email, info or just your
phone number and I'll use my nickel. Anything that you offer will be tried.

Surly there is one of these running somewhere out there on the net, or
may be someone at Sperry could show me the power of 2.

Thanx in advance
Alan Bunch
                                | dumbnet  gatech--\
Remember one thing:             |          mit-eddie!bloom-beacon!coplex!alan
No matter where you go,         | smartnet alan at coplex.uucp
there you are.                  | ATTnet   (502) 589-0907
DISCLAMER: Any thing I said above I thunk up all by myself.