UNIX 9th edition ????

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Mon Feb 6 03:00:04 AEST 1989

In article <487 at maxim.ERBE.SE> prc at maxim.ERBE.SE (Robert Claeson) writes:
>In article <462 at oglvee.UUCP>, jr at oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
>
>> The question is -- for those of us not
>> privy to doings inside of AT&T research organizations -- what *INTERESTING
>> STUFF* is there in the 9th edition that wasn't in the 8th edition???  My
>> understanding is that the 8th edition brought a boatload of innovations:
>> e.g. STREAMS, /proc, the ancestor of the File System Switch, etc.  But I've
>> never read an explanation of what new things came along in the 9th edition.
>
>Maybe they just wrote a new manual for the 8th edition and called the whole
>stuff -- including UNIX -- the 9th edition 8-).

The confusion is caused by the fact that there is no 8th edition release and
no 9th edition release. Although the 8th edition manual was written at some
point the system didn't freeze at that point. New developments were made all
the time, until about everything in the manual had become obsolete. Time
to create the 9th edition unix, by producing a new manual and doing a
global replace of eight by ninth in the source code :-)

The ninth edition is going the same way... over half of the manual is
obsolete already and there is talk about creating the 10th edition unix
manual...

Paul.