UNIX 9th edition ????

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Mon Feb 6 22:31:22 AEST 1989

In article <8872 at alice.UUCP> debra at alice.UUCP () writes:
>In article <487 at maxim.ERBE.SE> prc at maxim.ERBE.SE (Robert Claeson) writes:
>>In article <462 at oglvee.UUCP>, jr at oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
>>
>>> The question is -- for those of us not
>>> privy to doings inside of AT&T research organizations -- what *INTERESTING
>>> STUFF* is there in the 9th edition that wasn't in the 8th edition???
>>
>>Maybe they just wrote a new manual for the 8th edition and called the whole
>>stuff -- including UNIX -- the 9th edition 8-).
>
>The confusion is caused by the fact that there is no 8th edition release and
>no 9th edition release.

Actually, the confusion is caused by the fact that AT&T appears to use two
different terminologies in naming their internal UNIX releases, and their
external, commercial UNIX releases.

Thus, nobody, so far, seems to have answered the original question: Where do
System III and System V fit into the 7th, 8th, and 9th Edition succession;
and whatever happened to System IV? Can someone answer this question?

I would also be interested to know whether the following assumption is
correct:

Somehow, the powers that be (Marketing Dept.?) at AT&T have decided to make
"UNIX System V" the name of their OS, rather than the name being "UNIX", and
"System V" being a version designator. Thus, even though going from V.2 to
V.3 brought major changes (i.e. streams, RFS), the "System V" name was
retained; even though V.4 will bring even more major changes (USG/BSD/XENIX
merge, NFS, etc.), they still retain the "System V" name, and it has become
synonymous with "AT&T UNIX". There are other examples, such as the SVID --
I won't list them all.

Can someone confirm or deny this interpretation of things?

UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp at killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD