PC-NFS and Non-Sun NFS Servers

R.H. coast near the top geoff at eagle_snax.UUCP
Sat Feb 18 04:39:36 AEST 1989

In article <6160 at columbia.edu> micky at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu writes:
>I am planning to install Interactive's 386/ix NFS on a 386 box that I
>have.  I was wondering if there are special versions of lockd, statd,
>and pcnfsd needed to be run on the 386.  I have a Sun 3/140 running
>SunOS 3.5 that needed to have its lockd and statd upgraded to use
>SMI's PC-NFS Version 3.0.  What I need to know is if this is a PC-NFS
>particular thing.  Obviously I will not be able to install the
>binaries that came with PC-NFS V3.0 since I am not on a Sun...
>Ideally I would like to be able to use SMI's PC-NFS with my
>Interactive 386/ix NFS with the least amount of grief...

Most systems (at least, those who run any locking at all)
use a lock manager derived from NFSSRC3.2, which predated the
mods I made to support DOS file sharing and locking. (Can you
imagine running a status monitor on a PC? I thought not.)

NFSSRC4.0 should have this fixed; however there seems to be a bug with
certain versions of SunOS 4.0 w.r.t. the DOS sharing calls, and I'm
checking to see if it's in the reference port. As far as I know,
no commercial implementations of the reference port are shipping.
(Steve - is this true?)

You only need the new lockd/statd if you plan to run PC applications
such as Btrieve or "[pick your favorite word processor] for Networks"
which may break without a functioning sharing/locking capability.
If you don't care, just mount the drives with "No sharing control"
or "Read-only access" and PC-NFS will omit all lock manager calls.
(I.e. all opens succeed regardless of sharing restrictions, and all
LOCK requests are immediately granted without checking the server.)

--
Geoff Arnold, Sun Microsystems Inc.  | "It is well known that the longer one
PC Dist. Sys. Group (home of PC-NFS) |postpones a pleasure, the greater the