UNIX 9th edition ????

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Tue Feb 7 05:36:32 AEST 1989

In article <316 at dcs.UUCP> wnp at dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
>Thus, nobody, so far, seems to have answered the original question: Where do
>System III and System V fit into the 7th, 8th, and 9th Edition succession;

We did answer that.  The short answer is, they're not directly related.

>and whatever happened to System IV? Can someone answer this question?

There was no UNIX System IV.

UNIX System III was the commercial name for USG UNIX 3.0 and UNIX System
V was the commercial name for UNIX 5.0.  Because of the marketing hoopla
about UNIX System V being the "standard" UNIX, further commercial
releases retained the name "UNIX System V".  This is expected to continue.

There was a USG UNIX 4.0 (also 4.1), which some government sites obtained
but which wasn't generally available for commercial license.