UNIX 9th edition ????

Stainless Steel Gerbil [Joe Beckenbach] jerbil at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu
Tue Feb 7 04:27:44 AEST 1989

In article <316 at dcs.UUCP> wnp at dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
>Thus, nobody, so far, seems to have answered the original question: Where do
>System III and System V fit into the 7th, 8th, and 9th Edition succession;
>and whatever happened to System IV? Can someone answer this question?

	Well, taking the notes from when my local guru/more-senior-worker
Don Speck gave me a quick lecture on the subject:

 +++ TRUNK of UNIX Family Tree +++
version 0: PDP-7
version 1: PDP-11/20
version 2: PDP-11/45; 1972-73
version 3:
version 4:
version 5: ports to Interdata 8/32, IBM 370
version 6: 1976. Split to three.

 +++ Trunk continuation +++
version 7: 1977
32V: 1978. Merges into 3 BSD.