ENIX (cheap UNIX for 80x86 boxes)?

Phil Hughes fyl at ssc.UUCP
Fri Feb 3 06:34:22 AEST 1989

In article <3125 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, todd at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:

> Has anyone had any experience with Everex's ENIX for boxes with Intel
> CPUs?  I heard that for $299 you get X-Windows, Korn Shell, TCP/IP
> software, and the usual Berkeley enhancements plus GNU C and EMACS in
> a ready-to-run form.  The $299 gets you a two user license.  $499
> gives you an unlimited license.

I have a copy - I think it is $350 for unlimited.  It comes with a lot
of stuff but not Korn Shell and I don't think GCC or EMACS.  Seems to work
pretty well.  Documentation is below par but they are working on it - just
got the X documentation today.

In answer to a question that was sent to me: X currently supports
EGA and VGA boards only and a serial mouse.  The bus mouse driver
is done but is not in the distribution yet.

And, as for DOS support: it will exist someday (read that as
around mid-1989) but they think getting the wrinkles out of UNIX
first is more important (I agree).

For more info you can contact Kate Webb at 415-683-2686.

No, I don't have anything to do with Everex.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl