history/savehist variables in csh

Enrico Chiarucci ec at shapetc.UUCP
Tue Feb 21 23:07:38 AEST 1989

In my .login file I have the following lines (in a more or less vanilla
Sun-2 flavour of unix):

	set history=128
	set savehist=16
	source -h ~/.history

wishing to keep 128 commands in the history file, but to save only 16 of
them across login sessions.

Upon logging in, however, I consistently get 32 commands preserved from
the previous session. .login and .cshrc are also used to set and reset
the prompt to something like "dir,event #" but I do not think this has
a bearing on the problem.

I would appreciate any hint as to the possible cause of the unexpected
behaviour. Sorry if the question is well known, and the answer evident,
as my knowledge about these matters is somewhat limited.

enrico