PC-NFS on ULTRIX host

Ross Parker parker at waters.mpr.ca
Tue Feb 28 05:41:23 AEST 1989

We have a network of IBM-compatible PCs (about 100 or so) running SUN's
PC-NFS for file and print service from four Microvaxes running Ultrix (2.3).

We have a problem in that every once in a while, something happens on
a PC that causes the load on a Microvax to jump sky-high. We run 8 nfs
daemons on each Microvax, and these are the culprits. When the load
jumps (from, say, 2 or so up to 15 or 20 or higher), the nfs daemons appear
to be taking about 5 percent of the CPU each, rather than their normal
.1 or .2 percent. I'm pretty sure that this is caused by a PC, as this
problem didn't happen before we had the PCs.

If you've ever experienced a load of 25 on a Microvax-II (and I saw 30 once!!),
you'll understand why I want to get this fixed!!!

Anyone heard of something like this before???

Ross Parker      uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!parker       |
Microtel Pacific Research Ltd.			| You can't erase the dream,
Burnaby, B.C.,					| you can only wake me up...
Canada, eh?					|