PC-NFS Printing

Robert Claeson robert at PVAB.SE
Wed Feb 22 06:13:46 AEST 1989

In article <498 at bu-tyng.bu.edu>, draper at bu-tyng.bu.edu (Dave Draper) writes:

> We are running a similar setup here. About 15 XT clones tied into
> an Encore UMAX running BSD 4.2  We are using version 3.0 of PC-NFS.

> We too have run into printing problems. Multimate Advantage II will
> not print correctly. Wordstar 2000 Plus will not even run on an NFS
> drive. (drive D: or above)

> We have been in touch with different people (I do not think it would
> be fair to mention names since we are working on getting the problem
> resolved) and soo far have had no luck. About the best thing I can
> say to do is to have the file sent to a ascii text file instead of
> a printer and then use net print to print that out.

I've also run into these problems. When trying to print something from
a normal word processor on a PC to an HP LJII connected to an UNIX server,
I often get some garbage characters before the actual data. And the
beginning of the document is often garbled as well.

I think that PC-NFS uses the printing routines from Locus' PC-Interface
software. What does it do differently from, say, Novell Netware or 3Com's
3+Net, since those networks always seems to handle network printing
"right"?

--
Robert Claeson, ERBE DATA AB, P.O. Box 77, S-175 22 Jarfalla, Sweden

Tel:   +46 758 202 50              EUnet:    rclaeson at ERBE.SE
Fax:   +46 758 197 20              Internet: rclaeson at ERBE.SE