Survey: What would you like to see (but haven't) in a unix bbs???

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Fri Feb 17 03:02:39 AEST 1989

In article <7173 at killer.DALLAS.TX.US> garnett at killer.DALLAS.TX.US (John Garnett) writes:
>in article <88 at raider.MFEE.TN.US>, mjb at raider.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) says:
>
>> Survey: What would you like to see (but haven't) in a unix bbs???
>
>I would like to see a **ix bbs that allowed the option of logging in
>without going through all of the bbs-type menu's involved with a
>normal bbs.  The **ix bbs's that I am familiar with do not allow a
>user's .profile to be changed because the .profile is used to start
>up the bbs menus.  I don't know about other **ix users, but I like
>to customize my .profile to do what I want with it.

No problem.

AKCS has that capability; it's got an "akcsopt" file which is the moral
equivalent of the .profile for shell users.

Captive users sign on with a user login id and a password, just like you'd
expect from a Unix (or any other timesharing) system.

There's an option screen which has your .akcsopt parameters visible and
accessible.  You can change a great deal of the system behavior by editing
this area, including message display format, pager choice(s), editor to use,
your name, command and help display set, and much more.

It may not be called a ".profile", but it serves the same function.
We also have a ".plan" file so you can "identify" other bbs users
(works like finger for shell accounts).

(Disclaimer: I'm highly biased - we produce AKCS :-)

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, ddsw1!karl)
Data: [+1 312 566-8912], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    	"Quality solutions at a fair price"