history tricks...

Dave Hiebeler hiebeler at rpics
Thu Jan 5 13:22:00 AEST 1989

In article <945 at cmx.npac.syr.edu> gefuchs at top.cis.syr.edu (Gill E. Fuchs) writes:
>Hello Net,
>
>2 history related questions:
>   2 -   if #1 works, how about defining something which will not
>         require a <ret> (ala up arrow in vms) to retrieve the last
>         command.   On the other hand, once i have the last command
>         up, i want to change a character and only then unleash it
>         with the appropriate <ret>

  There is something that will do what I believe you want, called "ecsh".
It's basically csh, but with some emacs-type editing features added in.
That is, you can move up to previous command-lines, and edit them, and lots
of nice stuff like that, before sending the final command-line off to the
shell.  It's pretty handy.  We have it here at RPI, but I don't know offhand
where you can get a copy (I don't have access to the source right now).

  Perhaps someone else can tell you where you might get a copy?

  Oh, ecsh can also work in a vi-type mode, for those who don't use emacs.
I don't know how well that mode works though, as I haven't really experimented
with it..

----
Dave Hiebeler      Internet: hiebeler at cs.rpi.edu  (preferred address)
R.D. Box 225A                userfrzk%mts at itsgw.rpi.edu
Chatham, NY 12037    Bitnet: userfrzk at rpitsmts.bitnet
  "xue zai xao"     "...I can't remember what I was going to say..."