history tricks...

George Kyriazis kyriazis at rpics
Thu Jan 5 14:26:33 AEST 1989

In article <945 at cmx.npac.syr.edu> gefuchs at top.cis.syr.edu (Gill E. Fuchs) writes:
>Hello Net,
>
>2 history related questions:
>
>   1 -   how to redefine "foo" (anything else, that is) instead of
>         the "!" for the "YO UNIX, HISTORY COMMAND COMING UP"...

I would assume that you can't do that in csh.

>   2 -   if #1 works, how about defining something which will not
>         require a <ret> (ala up arrow in vms) to retrieve the last
>         command.   On the other hand, once i have the last command
>         up, i want to change a character and only then unleash it
>         with the appropriate <ret>

You can use ksh to do that.  By pressing ESC you go into some wierd mode
were you acan either use vi or emacs keys to move back into history.  You
can also search back in history for a given command and also you can
do command substitution and history in a single command (you can alias
it also).

You might want to take a look at ksh then.  Dont't ask me too much though,
I use csh!

  George Kyriazis
  kyriazis at turing.cs.rpi.edu
  kyriazis at ss0.cicg.rpi.edu