8-port serial async cards??

Jonathan Bayer jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Sat Jan 28 00:05:10 AEST 1989

In article <1135 at netxcom.UUCP> rfrye at netxcom.UUCP (Rob Frye) writes:

>may wish to know.  Also, if anyone is using any other 8-port serial board
>on SCO Xenix 386 that you like (particularly that will handle 38.4kbps)
>please clue us in! :->

We use the Digiboard series of cards.  We have used the digiboard 8, the
digiboard 8s, and the digiboard 8i.  The 8 and the 8s are essentially
the same with difference that the 8s uses 16450s, and the 8 uses 8250s.
The 8 will not work in systems which have clock speeds greater than
about 8 Mhz (even if the bus speed is 8, if the cpu is at 16 the card
will not work).  The 8s works fine.  The 8 can be upgraded to the 8s by
replacing the 8250s with 16450s.  The 8i is an intelligent buffering
board.  It works on all systems.

We run all these cards at 9600 baud with no problem (8 users or more).
We use the 8i for applications such as several serial printers connected
to the system where the io load is heavy.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon