Help: testing termcaps defs before installing w/ tic

Michael Meissner meissner at tiktok.dg.com
Thu Jan 26 04:18:01 AEST 1989

In article <13863 at cup.portal.com> A-N-Onymouse at cup.portal.com (John - DeBert) writes:
| I read somewhere that it was possible to set the TERM variable to point
| at a file containing terminal definitions in the user's directory.
|
| I am unable to find that passage now.
|
| I am trying to work out a usable terminal definition for my terminal
| before I install it in the termcap file.

On systems with terminfo (ie, System V) set your TERMINFO environment
variable to the pathname of the directory to use for finding the
terminal descriptions (normally this is /usr/lib/terminfo, or
/usr/5lib/terminfo for Suns).  Then run tic and it will build the
necessary entries.

On systems with termcap (ie, Berkeley) set your TERMCAP environment
variable to the pathname of the termcap file you want to use
(normally, this is /etc/termcap).  The first character of TERMCAP must
be a slash ('/') to indicate this is a filename rather than the
complete termcap entry.  Alternatively, you could set TERMCAP to be
the enitre termcap entry.
Michael Meissner, Data General.

Uucp:	...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!meissner
Arpa:	meissner at dg-rtp.DG.COM   (or) meissner%dg-rtp.DG.COM at relay.cs.net