Help: testing termcaps defs before installing w/ tic

Edwin Kremer edwin at ruuinf.UUCP
Tue Jan 24 18:18:19 AEST 1989

In article <13863 at cup.portal.com>, A-N-Onymouse at cup.portal.com (John - DeBert) writes:
	> I read somewhere that it was possible to set the TERM variable to
	> point at a file containing terminal definitions in the user's
	> directory.
You're almost right, it's either the TERMCAP or TERMINFO environment
variable you may set.

	> I am trying to work out a usable terminal definition for my terminal
	> before I install it in the termcap file.
The first solutions is to do (asume you're using Bourne shell):

	TERMCAP=$HOME/etc/termcap	; export TERMCAP
	put your terminal definition over there, and edit, test etc.

If you plan to use the terminfo capabilities, you can put the termcap
definition anywhere you like. Next, set TERMINFO to a directory unequal
to the default /usr/lib/terminfo:

	TERMINFO=$HOME/lib/terminfo	; export TERMINFO
	convert termcap in terminfo (cap2info or something like that) and
	install using tic. Your terminal defs will now end up in the
	directory set by TERMINFO, and your favourite editor will surely
	look it up there.

I hope this will be of any help to you....

						--[ Edwin ]--
--
Edwin Kremer, Department of Computer Science, University of Utrecht
Padualaan 14,  P.O. Box 80.089,  3508 TB  Utrecht,  The Netherlands
    "I speak for myself ..."    |  INTERNET: edwin at cs.ruu.nl