process sync - can it be portable?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Jan 21 05:58:28 AEST 1989

In article <12992 at steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>I have a program which will eventually run a number of copies all
>sharing a number of files. My problem comes with locking...
>The problem is that I want this to be portable.

The general approach to such requirements is to define one's own portable
interface to a necessarily system-dependent implementation of the facility.

The BRL CAD package defines a "resource" structure and a set of macros/
functions for acquiring/releasing resources.  Something of the sort is
probably your best bet.