lookin' 4 a book

Ken Lee klee at daisy.UUCP
Fri Jan 6 06:05:06 AEST 1989

In article <47800024 at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> gupta at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I'm looking for a good UNIX book (aren't we all?). I've got a good feel for
>Unix and both C and Shell programming. I'm now interested in learning about
>the communication aspect of Unix - i.e., sockets, protocols, etc.

The best book I know of is "The Design of the UNIX Operating System" by
Bach (copyright Bell Labs).  It covers all aspects of the UNIX kernel,
including BSD-style communications.  It's not a tutorial, though, so
isn't full of examples.

More introductory is "An Introduction to Berkeley UNIX" by Wang.  It's
more detailed than the title indicates, and includes a section on sockets
and networking.

Also very good is "Advanced UNIX Programming" by Rochkind.  It discusses
AT&T UNIX exclusively, though, which means FIFO's, messages, semaphores,
and shared memory, but no sockets.

You should also check the BSD 4.3 UNIX manuals.  They include a good
section of IPC and networking, which covers most of the material in the
above books.

There is a Waite book called something like "UNIX Communications".  It
is generally garbage, covering only a small portion of UNIX's
communications facilities, and no inter-process communication at all.

Ken
uucp:  uunet!daisy!klee		arpanet:  daisy!klee at uunet.uu.net
"This Lt. Col. is not gonna challenge a decision of the Commander-In-Chief ...
and if the Commander-In-Chief tells this Lt. Col. to go stand in the corner and
sit on his head, I will do so." - Lt. Col. Oliver North