BSD for AT?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Fri Jan 20 06:26:34 AEST 1989

>The Sun 386i with SunOS 4.0 is an example of an Intel architecture
>running a BSD-derived system*.

Another example is the Sequent Symmetry.

I've heard that somebody has ported 4.3BSD to a Toshiba 386 laptop
machine, or is doing so.

>The best thing would be GNU, and recent versions of gcc have included
>installation for 386 systems, but so far I think they assume that
>the machine is already running some kind of ATT-style Unix.

They assume it has some environment in which you can run the GNU
software, which need not be UNIX (I think "gcc" and GNU EMACS run under
VMS, for example).  They don't have a kernel at present, and I don't
know how much of a library they have, so it's not a complete OS.