Attaching LQ-1000 to Sun 3/50?

Frank W. Peters peters at cc.msstate.edu
Sat Jan 28 04:48:25 AEST 1989

Hello,

     I recently attached an Epson LQ-1000 printer to my Sun 3/50.  I have two
queries/requests with regard to this.

     First, while the printcap entry I have seems to be workable it does have
problems.  I occasionally have to cycle the power on the printer between
prints.  Does anyone have a fully operational printcap entry for an LQ?

     Second, assuming the printer is connected what packages, commercial or
free (though naturally I prefer free :-) exist to allow me to take advantage
of it's capabilities?  What I'm interested in primarily is filters to allow
me to take advantage of bold and italic capabilities with ?roff packages and
that allow me to print graphic images (the images can be in any of the
common formats as giff, tiff, macpaint, raster).  So far the only packages
I have located are a program to print color images which doesn't work with
black and white images and the nroff-to-epsonlq package available from
WSMR-Simtel20.army.mil (I can't get this to work and the address given for
the author seems to no longer be valid).

     Any help with these would be appreciated.  Please send any responses
directly to me as our universities subdistribution list seems not to have
been activated yet.

                        Frank Peters

Systems Programmer                 |   Mississippi State University
Phone:    (601) 325-2942           |   Computing Center and Services
Internet:  peters at CC.MsState.Edu   |   Post Office Drawer CC
BITNET:    PETERS at MSSTATE.BITNET   |   Mississippi State, MS.  39759

P.S. For those interested the printcap entry I'm currently using
     is as follows:

lp|epson:\
        :lp=/dev/ttya:sh:of=/usr/local/bin/epf:\
        :br#9600:pw#80:tr=\f:\
        :ms=evenp,-tabs,nl,crtscts:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs: